A Canon-Based Forum Roleplay of the Black Clover manga written by Yuuki Tabata

CURRENT SEASON: Autumn || Welcome to the Black Clover RP Forum! || Autumn has come and the winds of change are beginning to breeze. As the trees turn color, Magic Knights hopefuls are now participating in the Magic Knight Entrance Exam! || Our STAFF HIRING is still ongoing! If you'd like to join our staff and help ensure that our site runs smoothly then send in your applications!

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Sherros Yu [WIP]
by Sherros Yu Today at 3:16 am

» Random rolls
by Magic Emperor Today at 3:07 am

» Grimoire Rolling!
by Magic Emperor Today at 2:39 am

» Adam Tyson (WIP)
by Crimzon Today at 2:32 am

» Elemental Rolling!
by Magic Emperor Today at 2:16 am

Word Counter

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wood Samaritan [Closed/Mission]

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Wood Samaritan [Closed/Mission] on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Ali Ra

Junior Magic Knight 3rd Class
Ali Ra breathed in the familiar scents of home as the horse she'd borrowed from the Blue Rose's stables slowed to a walk, hoofbeats clicking on the cobblestone street of her family home. It looked smaller than she remembered, a thin, two-story building that stood not quite straight near the outskirts of Kikka.  Her mother sat on the porch, hands covered in paint, eyes squinted with concentration as she looked at the canvas in front of her.  She didn't even seem to see Ali coming.

"Ma," Ali breathed.  She looked up, as if coming out of a trance.  Ali recognized the feeling, having worn the same expression when someone yanked her out of a particularly tricky dance.  She didn't let it stop her from dismounting as fast as she could and running over to wrap her arms around her mother, "Oh mom!"

Her mom blinked and smiled her gentle smile as she found her place in reality again and returned her daughter's embrace, "Well Ali Ra as I live and breathe.  And here I thought you'd forgotten us, off in the capital with your fancy magic and knighthood..."

"First off, I've told you a thousand times I don't actually live in the capital.  And second, I write you every week, Ma," Ali reminded her with a laugh as she tied her mount to a nearby hitching post, "And you could come visit me too."

Ali's mother sniffed, "Me?  On those roads?  There are bears you know.  And bandits.  No, I think it's much better for you to just come here.  But come more often.
Why- I barely recognize you these days."

She looped around Ali's shoulder and led her outside.

That night, over dinner, she said, "You know...the poor old broommaker's been having a rough time of it.  Some of the local boys stole a few loads of his wood for some ridiculous prank or other..."

Ali's younger sister, Ria, rolled her eyes, "That's not what happened and you know it Ma.  It was bandits, looking to sell it on the Black Market."

"Well whoever it was...That poor old man is a real sweetheart.  Sure would be nice if SOME magic knight or other could do some work around here for once instead of running off to battle dragons or whatever nonsense they usually get up to."

"Now Helen," Ali's Pa said firmly, "The girl just got here.  Leave her alone.  I'm sure she has other things she'd rather do with her vacation than help your friend with his thieves."

Ali did have other things she'd rather do.  Like dance on the market stage, buy some pretty new scarves, meet her big sister Tara's new boyfriend...But then her Ma gave her look.  That 'I'm counting on you, I know you're not really a selfish brat, don't disappoint me' kind of look.  And she sighed.

"Don't worry about it, Ma.  I'll head on over first tomorrow, promise."
---
There were larger broommakers in the capital, where magic knights and nobles obtained their enchanted brooms.  But this story felt cozy and intimate, less overwhelming than anything in the capital ever did.  The broommaker was hard at work when she came in, head bent over a length wood that didn't look like anything special to Ali.  He blinked owlishly as she knocked on his open door, "Yes? Hello?  Who are you?"

She smiled and gave a small twirl and an enthusiastic curtsy, "I'm Ali Ra.  Helen's daughter.  She said you were having a problem with someone stealing your wood?"

He nodded sadly with a sigh, "Yes.  This neighborhood these days...not like it used to be.  Used to be you could leave the door unlocked and the window open and not have to worry about a thing but the rain..."

Ali nodded and fidgeted with her skirt.  She...wasn't the best listener.  But he was her mom's friend or something like that so she probably owed it to him to try..."Don't worry.  I'm a Magic Knight of the Blue Rose and I'll track down those thieves and get your wood back!"

The broommaker laughed dryly.  Ali raised an eyebrow in confusion until he said,"I've had every sheriff and detective in these parts go looking for me already.  Not a one's found hide nor hair of them.  They're long gone.  Tell you what: I know a place where mana-rich wood grows.  I'll give you a map, send you up there and you can cut some more for me.  I'll keep it under my bed this time and if they come for it...well...then I'll show them!"

Ali sighed.  This was going to be a much longer than she'd expected, "Don't worry.  I'm on the job."

"Oh- don't look so glum.  I can pay you!  You like money?"

Money?  Ali nodded with a smile.  Of course she liked money!  How was she supposed to buy anything pretty and shiny without it?

She tried again with more enthusiasm, "I'm on the case!"
---
The woods were beautiful this time of year.  All orange and red and yellow, like the leaves were made of living flame. As they crunched under foot, they sent spiraling up a crisp, autumn scent. She breathed it in and smiled.  This might not be exactly how she'd planned on spending her visit home, but it was lovely out here.  It had been too long since she'd been in the woods close to home.

The chosen grove looked to her like any other.  Maybe as a Magic Knight she should have been able to feel the latent power...but she didn't.  With a shrug, she took out the ax the broommaker had given her and started comparing the nearby trees to the samples he'd given her.  Finding one that looked about right, she chose a branch and carefully cut it down, trying her best not to cut into the trunk of the tree itself.  The broommaker had told her they were hard to come by so she was by no means to kill it.

The afternoon proceeded in that manner.  She cut down some branches, walked a bit further, cut down some more.  Occasionally she circled back to where she'd tied up her horse to add her wood to the cart.

As the sun crept lower in the sky, Ali hooked the horse back up to the wagon. She walked alongside it, hoping she made it back by sunset and that she'd gathered enough.  She could only stay another night in Kikka before she had to be bound for home.  And the next day she planned to spend on nothing but relaxation and fun.

Near the entrance to Kikka, Ali noticed some leaves had been trampled in the distinctive manner of a cart like hers.  Curious, she took her horse by the bridle and led him after the tracks.  Not particularly stealthy...But Ali wasn't too worried.  She was a Magic Knight, wasn't she?  If there was trouble...she was the type of person called in to handle it.  Well...not her yet as she was still pretty junior...But people LIKE her.  She'd be fine.

The trail led back to the woods, where a young boy was crouched over something, a small hand ax in his hand.  Ali heard him before she saw him, cursing and banging and...crying.  Why was he crying?

He looked young and thin, fifteen at most, with dark hair.  He was dressed in typical commoner clothes, hands a bit dirty in the manner of a farm hand.  He didn't seem to hear her, despite all the noise her horse made.  Tying her lead to a nearby tree, she moved closer, silent and smooth.  He didn't know she was there as she danced the silently closer...until she was close enough to knock him flat on the ground. He toppled right over and she held him down with a knee to his back.

"H-hello?" he called, voice broken and thick with a rural accent, face pale with terror.  Ali stepped into his line of sight, gaze darting around his campsite.

There was wood there.  Magic wood.  After a day of gathering it...she should certainly hope she recognized it.  He had an ax on his hand, tear-tracks running down his dirty cheeks and broken pieces of wood surrounding him.  Some were...vaguely broomshaped.

She waved to him with a smug smile, "Yes. Hello.  My name is Ali Ra of the Blue Rose.  I don't know who you are or why you're trying to run the Broommaker out of business..." But she was going to guess it had something to do with a desire to replace him, given the clear attempts at copying him.  Which...yeah...not going to happen.  This kid had a long way to go.

"But I'm not going to allow it!" she declared, tying his hands and feet, "Consider yourself under arrest!"

Could Ali actually arrest people?  She wasn't really sure...But whatever!  She could always find a constable and get HIM to arrest the thief.

"Drive him out of town?  I don't want to drive him out of town!" the boy protested as she added what wood was salvageable from his stash, "I-I want to be his apprentice!  But he refused me!  So I...I thought I'd show him...Show him I can do it...that I can make a flying broom...Then he'd have to take me, right?"

"It doesn't work like that, kid.  You can't MAKE me people teach you," Ali shook her head.  The kid wasn't a monster.  He was just...impulsive and a little dumb, "You're going to have to work hard to make this up to him.  You've caused a lot of trouble.  But...I can help you apologize, if you'd like.  If the Broommaker forgives you...I won't arrest you after all."

With another sniffle, the boy nodded, "I...I guess I did take it a little far...If you untie me, I'll help you gather the rest."

Ali nodded with a smile and the pair walked back to Kikka together.
---
"I...I never would have guessed," the old broommaker shook his head, lips tight with disappointment, "I thought it was just a phase.  You've never shown any interest before..."

"That was before I got my grimoire," the boy insisted proudly, "I have wood magic now, just like you!  And I want to use it to make things that fly.  Please, Uncle..."

Ali held up a hand to stop things right there, "Wait...He's your NEPHEW?"

Both blushed.

"Well...yeah," the boy explained, head hung with shame, "That's how I got the key to his woodshed. I thought if I had some magic wood and a few books...I'd be able to make a magic broom too.  But every time I tried...It just turned out a mess."

The Broommaker reluctantly smiled, "It takes years of practice to do what I do.  If anybody could do it..."

He laughed, "Then I suppose I'd be out of a job!"

"So what do you say, Uncle, can you teach me?" the boy asked earnestly.

Ali sighed.  Poor kid.  Just wanted to do what he loved and couldn't figure out how.  Reluctantly she said, "Before you answer...I saw where he was working.  He may not be very good yet...but he's a hard worker, your nephew.  And when he says he wants to do this...I believe him."

The boy gave her a surprised smile, eyes bright, and his uncle sighed in resignation, "You've cost me a lot of money, boy.  And it's going to take years for you to work it all off.  Tell you what...Let's start with some basic chores and see how it goes.  Next time- YOU can go to the mountains to replace some of that wood you stole."

Aw.  Ali was always happy to see a happy ending but..."I do still get paid, right?  Can I get a bonus or something for finding your thief?  It could have been dangerous, you know!"

WC: 2006

2 Re: Wood Samaritan [Closed/Mission] on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:56 am

Jett King

Wanderer
With a word count of 2020/1200 you have a...

Mission Complete!!

Rewards:

• 1 Stat Point
  • 1 Spell Point
  • 600 Gold
  • 1 Gold Star
  • ..and Broom Maker's Broom

Broom Maker's Broom:
Item Name: Broom Maker’s Broom
Elemental Affinity: N/A
Item Type: Supplementary
Item Rank: Junior
Stats: +2 Speed
Item Appearance: A old worn out broom. Most of the bristles are split or missing, parts of the wood in the handle is chipped and cracked. Really looks like it might break any moment. Received as a reward for helping out the broom maker of Kikka and his nephew.
Item Description: A very basic magic item that nearly all those with magic learn how to use at a young age. Allows the ability to fly at a moderate level. The broom cannot handle going higher than 30 meters or the wind might cause it to snap.  The max weight for this particular model is 200 pounds, making it less than ideal for multiple occupants to be on. Requires at least 5 control to use.

Once airborne, it takes a mana upkeep cost of 3 Mana per post to remain flying.
Code:
[Spoiler=Broom Maker's Broom][b]Item Name:[/b] Broom Maker’s Broom
[b]Elemental Affinity:[/b] N/A
[b]Item Type:[/b] Supplementary
[b]Item Rank:[/b] Junior
[b]Stats:[/b] +2 Speed
[b]Item Appearance:[/b] A old worn out broom. Most of the bristles are split or missing, parts of the wood in the handle is chipped and cracked. Really looks like it might break any moment. Received as a reward for helping out the broom maker of Kikka and his nephew.
[b]Item Description:[/b] A very basic magic item that nearly all those with magic learn how to use at a young age. Allows the ability to fly at a moderate level. The broom cannot handle going higher than 30 meters or the wind might cause it to snap.  The max weight for this particular model is 200 pounds, making it less than ideal for multiple occupants to be on. Requires at least 5 control to use.

Once airborne, it takes a mana upkeep cost of 3 Mana per post to remain flying.
[/spoiler]

Comments: A nice threads with quite a bit of family values thrown in with the interactions of Ali and her family and then the Broom maker and his nephew.  The whole thing was a big misunderstanding that was nicely resolved.

Notes: For future missions, just for mods grading benefit, copy in the mission to the start of the thread.  Head over to emperor's approval to claim your gold reward.

Grimoire: Jett's Grimoire
Speech: Purple - 9300C4
Stats
Power: 11
Stamina: 15
Speed: 14
Sensory: 10
Control: 26
View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum